Blog Post 10!

 Chapters 11 and 12 from the coursebook emphasize how ethics are imperative to the digital content itself. Chapter eleven's discussion of the presentation shows the importance of how design starts way before the content has been posted. Drucker explains that choosing between creating a exhibit or digital pulication determines the structure and goals of it. When applying this to my MEdiation project, which includes a personal website to show who I am, it means I need to look at this website as a digital exhibit of myself. It's meant to be an intentional space to show my identity through selection and design. Chapter 11 also talked about how presentation choices can shape the interpretation of the website. I will have to take this into consideration when creating my project and look at all of my pages as interpretive layers. The way viewers navigate the site is the way I choose to tell my story which I find fascinating.

Chapter 12 goes more into the framing of the digital project as an ethical issue as well. I really liked the sustainability section because it talks about how "digital" doesn't mean immaterial since the projects have environmental costs still. This has taught me how important it is to design with sustainability through accessible platforms. It also made me reflect on intellectual property, which is acknowledging sources. As I add in images or text, I have to make sure that all of it is original or credited.

These chapters did a great job of connecting everything we've learned this semester. Interface design, metadata and ethical issues together make a digital project impactful and education. My MEdiation will incorporate all of these factors and show my true intent. Presentation is not only to show identity but to curate it with attention to access and long-term digital life.

Comments

  1. Your take and perspective is super interesting! I agree, that the decision of which interface is used and how to display information is crucial to the purpose of our message.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

blog post 1: what is digital humanities?

What is DH?

RM ☆ Blog Post 1