What is DH?
The Digital Humanities book provided a digestible explanation of what Digital Humanities incorporates with the digital world and different humanities principles. As I read the preface, I appreciated the terms “introduction,” “intended,” and “guided by principles,” because it supported my current understanding of digital Humanities by implying that there is not one single definition of digital humanities. It makes sense to me that digital humanities requires continued research and analysis, as it evolves within our society.
I think that digital humanities is basically where the digital world supports and allows a platform to expand on, and analyze, humanities disciplines. I don’t think that digital humanities is intended to allow technology to change what is already there, but instead, to create and/or use the digital world to make those disciplines more accessible. The readings have helped me to have a better understanding of the value of studying and using digital humanities to analyze work that has been done, or could be done in the future.
An example of a digital humanities project is “The Moonwalkers: A journey with Tom Hanks” exhibit in Boston. According to The Boston Calendar at thebostoncalendar.com, the exhibit is a digital show that uses NASA footage and others historical data to tell an immersive story about the first steps on the moon.
Hi Vicky!
ReplyDeleteI really liked how you said that “…digital humanities is basically where the digital world supports and allows a platform to expand on, and analyze, humanities disciplines.” This is a great, simple and clear definition that perfectly, in my opinion, describes this very broad idea! You also brought up a good point when you said that digital humanities is not meant to change what is already there but, instead, to make this information more accessible and to add on to it using new means. This is also something that stood out to me in the reading. I like that digital humanities gives people a space to be creative and a means to add their own interpretations or lens to the story.
The Moonwalkers exhibit is a good example of how people have used digital technologies to both research, interpret and present historical data. I love how interactive and immersive this exhibit seems to be – I think putting the audience into the story like this, makes it so much more interesting than just reading an old museum display card!
Your definition and post reminded me of the data science class I took in high school. One of the assignments we did was inspired by a digital humanities work called, “Dear Data” which was a year-long visualization project that was created by two people who lived in different countries. Every week, they collected data about their lives and sent each other postcards that visualized this data. Here’s the link in case you are interested: https://www.dear-data.com/theproject.
Nice work!
Bailey
"Dear Data" is a cool project!
DeleteI'm glad the readings helped with your understanding, also confirming what you already understood to be the broad (multiple-definitions) world of DH!
ReplyDelete