Blog post 10: Web Presentation & Design
Chapter 11 in our book talks about web presentation formats and networked resources. Some of the main types of web presentation formats Drucker mentioned are collections/repositories, exhibits, and publications. Collections are websites that house a large collection of photographs, videos, documents, audio recordings, or really anything else. Exhibits are websites like the one the art team worked on, that capture a physical exhibit digitally, or create an exhibit on a certain topic or theme. Publications are things like online journal articles, books, reviews, or essays. Drucker talks about the importance of thinking about how you want to present your website before you start developing your website. Many websites are combinations of the three main types Drucker mentions, blending the different aspects of each together.
In chapter 12, Drucker talks about project design and intellectual property. She talks about copyright laws and fair use guidelines. Fair use laws allow people to use copyright material as long as they are not making money off it, or if they alter it enough. This is what allows people to make parodies or popular songs or artwork. One thing Drucker mentions is how many musical artists have sued political campaigns for using their music, which is something I’ve heard about in the news recently.
I think these chapters and the coursebook as a whole have given me a lot of good information to think about before beginning my MEdiation project. I want to make the interface easy to navigate while still being pleasing to the eye. I think that my site will be a combination of a publication and exhibit, with all of my projects embedded and other things I choose to include.
Comments
Post a Comment