Daniel Blog Post 8

 My first expectation with this curation project was that it would be mostly unenjoyable to work on, however I was swiftly proven wrong in that regard. I have definitely had fun photographing scenes around campus and attempting to recreate pictures from 100 years prior. The photography piece has been awesome and I quite enjoy comparing the new to the old and seeing how things have changed over a period of 100 years. So far, I have applied digital archiving as a primary DH principal in this project. The work of creating digital comparisons between the original photographs and the current images is quite important as a part of collecting and archiving digital pictures for historical visualization purposes. It creates ample opportunity for analysis of the changes at UNH over time. I planned to take pictures of my chosen spots and then use the online tools available to us in order to develop my images into a piece of the collection. I feel that the plan hasn't really changed so far, and I think that everything has been going very well.

I think the work for this project will greatly contribute to the Bremer Pond Collection and the Art History Department as a whole. Right now the collection showcases what campus was like 100 years ago, giving viewers a real blast from the past. They can go out and use their eyes to see how things have changed, but our work will make an even greater impact by allowing people to have a straight side by side comparison and analysis that will truly showcase the differences on campus from 1925 to 2025. The project is firmly situated within the digital archives portion of digital humanities. We are creating a new archive that builds upon an existing one to create something more. It will be a big development for the historical archives at the University of New Hampshire.


Comments

  1. I can definitely appreciate that you thought this project wouldn't be fun; I was mostly concerned that it would be difficult but so far I've really enjoyed it. It was super refreshing to work on a project that connects with what we've been learning, but also got us out of the classroom and allowed us to do the physical work. I am also excited that we are able to contribute to the archives at UNH in a meaningful way.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

blog post 1: what is digital humanities?

What is DH?

RM ☆ Blog Post 1