Blog Post #2: Data + Digitalization

The focus of this chapter was on the collection and presentation of data for a wide array of uses. This data can include anything from the exact numerical data of a massive survey to the most common color of shoe; the importance lies in how it is stored, used, and repurposed over again when needed. 

Take for example the project that my group looked at in class, the MOMA Photography Collection. Using the raw data from twenty two thousand photos, researchers were able to analyze patterns in color, subject, image quality, and more. This also required digitizing all twenty two thousand photographs, a process that I'm sure wasn't exactly fast. They they took that data and placed it into easily-usable data sets for future usage. The Collection then used this data and allowed its usage in articles, other databases, and more- showing just how versatile well-stored data sets can be. 


This can be seen clearly in my current DH Project as well: the Musee D'Orsay's digital exhibition was created with a 360 camera by taking photographs of the entire main hall (the first two stories) and then uploading them to Google so they could be compiled and used as a 3-dimensional recreation of the space when interacted with. This also touches on another aspect of digitalization, where instead of taking physical data or objects and saving them digitally, using more advanced tech like the 360 camera can afford a literal representation of a space instead of simply raw data. As someone who's worked almost his entire college experience with either data sets or with written text, this is the part that's super interesting to me!


Comments

  1. Hi Tristan!

    I really liked how you said that data can be simple or complex and that “the importance lies in how it is stored, used and repurposed over again when needed” – that is a great way to put it! I especially enjoyed how you described the connection between the textbook chapters we had to read for this week and your own DH project about Le Musée D’Orsay. Like you said, I also think that it’s very interesting to see how far technology has come with its 360 cameras that can literally create a digital version of reality that gives people around the world the power to visit a location without having to be physically present – that’s so cool!

    For my DH project, I decided to focus on the Google Arts and Cultures UNESCO World Heritage Sites. One thing that I love about this project is how interactive it is and how many different and unique options it gives you to explore the world: You can look at pictures, videos, and collections, read some stories and spotlights (like royal cribs) which seem more simple and relaxed and then suddenly you come across the virtual reality section where you can go on a talking tour with Google AI, explore street views, play guessing games (like which building came first), and visit 3D replicas of old relics and ancient cities. With the way it is organized, there seems to be something for everyone! Like you, our reading applies to my project because it also used 360-degree imagery, high-resolution images and archival data for research as well as 3D scanning and photogrammetry to make it come alive!

    I look forward to learning more about your project and great job!
    Bailey

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really resonate with your point about using data sets and written text for most of college. I've never explored the idea of data being anything else, so this was definitely an interesting reading. When you were talking about the MOMA Photography Collection, I really liked how you mentioned that once data is digitized, it can be used in a multitude of ways. I feel like you captured the main points of the reading really well with many examples of how digitization to give that immersive experience. I also appreciate your connection to your Musée d'Orsay project because you talked about newer technology being about to show the 360 experience, which can tell someone more than words can. I've slowly been learning that data doesn't always have to mean numbers and statistics, it can also give the feeling that we're in a specific place like you've shown us with your project.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Tristan. We definitely have similar DH projects, mine on the National Museum of National History is a virtual tour of the exhibit as well, with 360 cameras - much like looking at Google Streetview. Mine also features a 3D map at the top so you can see where exactly you are in the museum. I too thought you put the section perfectly with your sentence "the importance lies in how it is stored, used, and repurposed over again when needed.". I find it really interesting how we have access to these virtual tours for free, giving the chance to explore them for those who may not be able to visit in person, or for those who don't want to pay. It truly is crazy to look at the ways we can collect data and use them in just the past few decades.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so glad you're intrigued by the combination of data sets + unstructured data of texts and language, as that's where we're going!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

blog post 1: what is digital humanities?

What is DH?

RM ☆ Blog Post 1