Blog #2
Chapter 2 focuses heavily on the topics involved with data and digitization. Drucker's analyses regarding the processes show insight into how one can source or create materials in an ethical fashion. She discusses how to "clean" data, such as assessing and processing the data for inconsistencies. These topics are essential when attempting to gather data for a humanistic project. For my DH analysis this semester, I chose the project "What's on the Menu" by the New York Public Library, as I found the menus to be designed in an interesting way.
In terms of longevity, it seems that "What's on the Menu" has fallen victim to the endless black hole of the internet. As of January 2025, the site linked on Canvas shows that the original website that was once home to this project has been shut down, which is a prevalent theme in chapter 3 of the Coursebook. This being said, the website linked on Canvas still shows ways to interpret the data present in "What's on the Menu". Digitization, as a whole, has been great for showcasing works that were once only viewable in person. This being said, digitization has it's drawbacks-- as seen above-- and many projects have been lost to the constant reshaping of the digital world. The coding heavily involved in these projects becomes outdated or the code starts to erode.
Great post! I completely agreed with your thoughts on the ethical requirements to “clean” data for humanistic projects. Even as far as we have come in education, training, and awareness, I still see people post things on social media sites without considering the impact of sharing that information about themselves, and others. But when digital projects are worked and them publicized, curators and other team members must be diligent in their methods and intent to protect data. Your post certainly makes me want to learn more about the project that you are analyzing, so I’m looking forward to learning more! My analysis project is on the Van Gogh exhibit in Boston, but I didn’t really come across any concerns over ethical use of data. This may have been because the artist and his muse’s died over 50 years ago. So my focus of my project was centered on his art and mental health, and how that story was used in the digital exhibit in Boston.
ReplyDelete